“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Egg Oddity

Every once in a while we will go to the nest to gather the eggs, and there will be a mess of a broken egg. I think a lot of the time it is because we get an egg like this. The shell is soft - like a water balloon. You can push it in and change its shape, its so soft.
I ended up giving this back to the hens the next morning. It was going to be too messy to open, so I let the hens enjoy it. They are such cannibals.
VIDEO OF THE SOFT SHELLED, SQUISHY EGG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BElftqKzJZw

3 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Very interesting. I've never seen such a thing before. I guess that's because I don't live on a farm! ;)

Deere Driver said...

From my friend Juliann:
"If my memory serves me---My Grandfather would mix oyster shells in the feed---they are missing calcium..... Have to check with mom and dad tomorrow...."

DD
I told her wasn't frequent, but to check it out. Who am I not to take advice from experience.

Deere Driver said...

Juliann again:
"Just talked to Dad, he said to feed them oyster shells all year long--esp. all the egg laying time. Said they need grit in their feed too--told him they find enough grit in the barn yard--he said "never enough grit--need it in their feed for their gizzard"......?
And feeding the egg back to them---experiment with that or not--we always kept them away from their own eggs--they would start to break good eggs and eat them!
YOU farmer YOU!! Wish some days for that life--not the mud and hail days OF COURSE!!!!
Have a pleasant day!"
DD:
I will see if the soft shell is a continuing problem and get myself a supply of oyster shell. Its not the first time its been recommended, but normally the eggs have pretty strong shells.

As far as the egg feeding - I usually smash the egg pretty good and toss some of their feed on top of it to disguise it. I'm hoping they are not smart enough to know they have a continuing supply in their nests! They only get the ones that have already been damaged in the nest and they usually don't eat them there. They go after them when they hit the ground.

I hope I can fool a chicken - but who knows!