“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Space Ship House, West of Denver

Also known as the Sleeper House. Yep Woody Allen fans - that Sleeper.
This morning I finally broke down and searched "space ship house denver", and there were a few articles, a couple of which I'll tag for you here.
Check out the photos here: Home of the Week: Sleeper House
And see the more complete story here: I heard there's a futuristic house somewhere in Denver that kind of looks like an egg.?
"Sitting high on a ridge above Genesee Park is a structure that has been compared to a space ship, a clamshell, or an electric razor. Traveling west from Denver on I-70, motorists on I-70 are greeted by a truly enigmatic piece of architecture. Sitting high on a ridge above Genesee Park is a structure that has been compared to a space ship, a clamshell, or an electric razor. The egg shaped main body of the house sits on a tower like a mushroom on a stem, with full length windows looking out over Denver and the plains to the east, and Bald Mountain and the Front Range across the canyon to the north. "As we left Golden our first morning in Colorado, and headed up to Lookout Mountain and Buffalo Bill's Grave site, this space ship appeared on the hill. We couldn't get close, and didn't have time to try, but you could see that this was a neat place. Now that I see that it was also part of Sleeper, I'll have to watch that movie again.

Just in case you are in the neighborhood on I-70 west of Denver, look left.
Edited from earlier when I insisted that this was north of Denver.

3 comments:

V.L. Locey said...

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Lois Evensen said...

Yes, cool. I wonder, though, how it would be to live in such a "disconnected" place.... Or, to look at it the other way, "connected" to nature... Great food for thought about people who would want to live there. Thanks for the pics and info.

Deere Driver said...

Today, with I-70 passing nearby and more houses around, its perhaps not as disconnected as it was when built.

The views might be great, but their view is also a major highway now. They are fairly high up, but not invisible for sure.