“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Friday, April 8, 2011

April Reading

A friend sent the following article to me and I saw it on Facebook too. If you've talked to me about meat goats, a lot of information in this article has been part of our conversation. For those of you that haven't, I hope you learn a bit and find this interesting and helpful.Goat meat, the final frontier

By Mark Scarbrough and Bruce Weinstein

Nutrition-wise, goat meat is a wonder. A similarly sized serving has a third fewer calories than beef, a quarter fewer than chicken and much less fat: up to two-thirds less than a similar portion of pork and lamb; less than half as much as chicken.

More good news: Goats represent sustainability, without the curse of factory production. They are browsers, not grazers.

“The meat’s better for you, and the animals are easier on the land,” Adams says. “I can put at most two steers on an acre, but at least 10 goats. Maybe more.”

For the full article click the title above or go to:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/goat-meat-the-final-frontier/2011/03/28/AF0p2OjC_print.html

3 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

I could never be a farmer. Well, at least of goats. Those are too sweet to eat. Now chickens, cows, even sheep, I have no problem eating....

Kittie Howard said...

I've read these stats before and *sighs* I just can't go there. It's the same with Bambi. Both animals have such beautiful eyes!

Deere Driver said...

I understand completely and it took me three years to get to the point where I had to sell or stop breeding (or get eaten out of house and barn).

I'm not a big meat eater but I feel the need to stand behind my "product", so I've made a few recipes finally. I can confidently sell these animals now on taste, and the stats make me feel good about it.