“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tornado Follow Up

Last evening I stopped by the newest goat farm to see how everyone was faring. The place was a beehive of activity.
(That is not a short construction worker. That is a young boy who came to help.)
My photographs do not even give a glimmer of the devastation. It is nature at its most ferocious, and yet, knowing everyone is safe, quite amazing. What I couldn't appreciate was although the walls are still standing, the insides of the house blew out. Mementos and memories lost.
Barn before:
After: Notice the tree by the barn? 
And the other tree in the foreground from before? Gone! As are many more.
The tornado passed through on this side of the barn, pulling up some of the roof and shearing the trees, but for the most part, leaving the building intact. Sadly the house was not so lucky.
 Apparently I don't need to feel terribly guilty worrying about the goats. When the fire department arrived, one of the first questions was, "Are the goaties okay?" Yes!
And no babies yet!

When I was driving home yesterday I passed this area where the tornado had crossed and blew out an area of trees.
I wasn't able to slow down and focus on the video, but I think you can see how it looks like there was a huge explosion.

2 comments:

Lois Evensen said...

Wow, that is terrible. Still, I am so glad to know everyone (including those "goaties") is OK. :) Thanks for the update.

Linda Myers said...

We saw a tornado-afflicted town on our road trip to Kentucky in April. Such random destruction.