“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Beans, Buzzards and Rain

All three arrived yesterday.

The Matilda pole beans are up in the hoop house, and rather quickly. I hope they don't shoot too much, but the clouds that came in and cooled things off might help.

Then after many plops of raindrops all day, we finally got a steady, gentle rain last night and its been going all day today. I've lost some of my garden, but I think this might give the rest a second wind to finish out the season with a flourish.

Two days on the hill and the deer carcass still looked untouched on the morning walk. And although I only saw one bird swooping over the woods on the hill then, about ten were around the area of the carcass Wednesday, so I assume there has been some scavenging going on - finally. I'd like the feasting to go quickly before the dogs go up and roll in the entrails.

No comments: