“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Freezing Eggs

These are two bags of frozen eggs that I have started to prepare this month as I saw the hens start to molt. Soon we will not have the excess of eggs that we have all summer. Production is slowing down fast as the days get shorter. The hens need 11 hours of light to produce eggs, and you may notice how terribly short the days are starting to get. We can turn on the light in the barn to keep them going, but we let them have this rest period to let nature work as it does.I had read about freezing eggs, and this year I decided to give it a try. When we get to those bleak days in December and January when there is a deficit of eggs here, and at other farms, and I cannot bring myself to buy any at the grocery store, I am going to dig out one of these bags and have a fine omelet, make a batch of crepes for dinner, or something else yummy.There are several methods to try, using milk and/or salt, or sugar, with the eggs. My first bag I used a splash of milk and salt. Since then I have only used a dash of salt. The most important thing is to start with the freshest, clean eggs.
I cracked four into a bowl. We usually use three for our Sunday omelet, but I am splurging while I can. Perhaps we will have you over for breakfast and have to share!
I beat them with a fork to combine them as well as I could.
Looking pretty good. They say not too much air. Maybe too many bubbles?
Then I added a bit of salt. Just a couple quick shakes. If you know you want sweet eggs for a recipe, you can add sugar here instead. Milk also. Just mark your container each time with the ingredients. I also put on the exact date. Things get moved around in my freezer so much. I want to be able to identify the oldest to use first.
I poured the eggs into a pint freezer bag, and pushed out as much air as I could. I sat the bag flat so it freezes nicely. Then I can stack it better later.

Some methods used ice cube trays, and then transferred them to bags. Its up to you. I'm looking forward to these fresh eggs in the dark days of winter. Maybe you want to run out to your local farm and try this too. Let me know how it goes. I can't wait to see myself.

Here are a couple of sites I checked. There are lots more.

Georgia Egg Commission


How To Freeze Eggs

No comments: