“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I think I'm Down A Chicken (with Update)

I came home from an appointment this morning to see this in the yard.
I drove the truck up to the pond to see if I could see anything from there, but no.
Two head counts of the hens, only came up to seven.
Not looking good.
The fox? A hawk? Stray dog? Hmm!
UPDATE:
Four hours later, after calling the hens and feeding them bread twice(a treat usually reserved for the fish), we were back to eight hens. I finally saw Number Eight hiding under a bush. I think she was roosting in the large juniper on the island, recovering from perhaps being attacked. I can't say I see any signs of injury, but those feathers hide a lot.

I guess the other hens talked her back down! It was too nice a day to hide, and not come out and play, now that I was around to protect them!

All's well here on the farm!
G'Night!

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

Hmm, quite a mystery. Bummer! It's a shame the other chickens can't talk!