“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Frozen Eggs: Thawed

Do you remember my Freezing Eggs project last year?
Here is the link: http://onthepondfarm.blogspot.com/search/label/freezing%20eggs

If you recall, I was expecting a slow egg producing month or two in the winter, so I put a few bags of eggs in the freezer for those times. The slow month didn't happen. Even with the awful February where hardly any animal or human got outside, but to shovel snow, we had enough eggs.Right now, the heat seems to be affecting production, and sales have kept the back log down, so I decided this was a good time to pull out a bag and test the product.
Success! I put the bag in the refrigerator last night, and it was still mushy this morning. Mom was ready for her breakfast early, so we scooped a semi frozen spoonful that look like about an eggs worth and popped it in the pan. It slowly melted down into a fine little omelet. Tasted just fine. In all the fun of making the rest into an omelet later, I forgot to take more pictures, but you wouldn't have known these weren't fresh from the barn.I think this method of freezing eggs would work really well for campers and travelers that don't have lots of space, and need to keep things in coolers. Using the semi frozen eggs make it really easy to portion too.
Now that we have lived to tell the tale, I hope you can find use for this successful experiment sometime.

No comments: