“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Foods of the Bible

Just a couple of days ago, I was invited to a dinner at Covenant Presbyterian Church in Ligonier by my new friend, Diane. The enticement was that it would be middle eastern food from the Bible. I jumped at the invitation.
This first course could have been my favorite. A meal in itself.
Those that know me say, "But its food . Of course you did." But friends, this was so different, and I didn't have to travel far to enjoy it. Right here in little Ligonier.
Sorry! What you are seeing is partially consumed food. Trust me and the other guests. It was so good and freshly made, we all overindulged. In between the courses we heard readings from the Bible illustrating the relationship of food and hospitality and culture. We also had little cards on the table that we all took turns reading to the table. It was a good way to get to know strangers and new friends alike.
Lisa Houser from Myrianms Table prepared the foods, and told us about some of the customs, and considerations which were taken into account when preparing a meal in Biblical times many of which she learned growing up in her grandmother’s kitchen.
In Biblical times a person’s reputation was largely connected to his hospitality - the sharing of home and food. The Fellowship Committee has a great reputation in my book.
Thanks for inviting me Diane!!

No comments: