“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Patron Saint of Technology and the Internet

Today is All Saints Day. All Saints Day commemorates all saints, known and unknown.

I think the saints were with me, as they say, when I endeavored on the blog repair yesterday. Some of you may have noticed the right column had slipped underneath the left, and things were just a bit awry.


First I went to the official Blogger "Help" section, but it has an infinite amount of problems to search through. I guess I'm not the only fat fingered blogger. So I started putting in search phrases and came up with a few false starts. Finally I saw something that struck me as a possibility, and started the process of elimination. It worked.


I am very proud of myself. It is still working today, so I found the problem and made the correct repair. WOO HOO!! I get a gold star!


So who is the patron Saint of Technology? I found two possibilities.


Pope John Paul II was suggested to be a fairly high tech Pope, as was the Vatican at his time. Upon his death the media was texted for an announcement, and his death was announced via email. The public praying below his window were not aware of his death as soon as the television watching world. He is a modern selection who actually used this technology.

http://churchtechmatters.com/2005/04/20/high-tech-pope/


But it seems that a Papal Council designated St. Isidore of Seville, Spain, the official patron saint.
So, how does Saint Isidore of Seville become the patron saint for the Internet? The Observation Service for Internet, who drew it's mission from the Pontifical Council for Social Communications, researched the Internet and related technologies to select a patron saint that best reflects the concerns and ideals of computer designers, programmers and users. The saint chosen by the Observation Service for Internet was Saint Isidore. "The saint who wrote the well-known 'Etymologies' (a type of dictionary), gave his work a structure akin to that of the database. He began a system of thought known today as 'flashes;' it is very modern, notwithstanding the fact it was discovered in the sixth century. Saint Isidore accomplished his work with great coherence: it is complete and its features are complementary in themselves.


http://www.scborromeo.org/saints/isidores.htm

I don't remember calling on either of them, but we have an orderly blog this morning, so that's good enough for me. Now for an orderly desk! Patron Saint of Neatness?

1 comment:

Fish Ponds said...

What an impressive post you have shared with us regarding saint technology. I would like to appreciate you for sharing such an impressive information with us.