“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Barn and Butterfly Bush

This particular butterfly bush is an original one that I brought from Connecticut. What's particularly amazing is that I grew it from seed thinking it was a flower and it became three intertwined bushes that I had to separate. Today we have a couple other varieties, but this one came from a seed packet not a nursery. So its possible to grow buddlleja from seed, but plan for the space accordingly. They get a large root system. Then enjoy them through fall when the last of the butterflies drunkenly laze around them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddleja

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

How pretty. And, isn't it fun to have a history for the flowers. There are so many stories to the flowers in my garden. I love it.