“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Summer Salad

Tonight we'll need salad with our burritos, and happy to say, it will all be from our garden, weed haven that it is.
I tried a few mixes of salads and greens with mixed success. One or the other individual plant would bolt, and so I yanked that out of the garden while the rest of the blend was OK. I think part of it was too much at once, and trying to use everything as it came, and maybe waiting a bit too long.
The peppers are sneaking in, and I am in love with the color and smell of this creamy colored one. To me its like jewelry - beautiful and precious.
After my earlier panic, the tomatoes are holding up, and I think have improved since my late blight scare, but we still have yellow shoulders. The chickens are enjoying the trimmings, so no waste as usual.
But no store bought in months now, and much greener, prettier food. Almost a shame not to put it in a vase and admire.

No comments: