“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Picking Up the Pieces

After getting the animals out this morning, we set out for a walk though the woods. We were looking for downed trees, as our neighbor spent all day yesterday clearing the ones around his house. We found none yet, but we have many more paths to check. I also was looking for morels again, but really don't know where to find them. I know of ONE that was found near a path, but don't know which. Mia joined us on our walk, and I took any hint from her as a place to look. She did her best to find me the biggest morel in the world. Nice try Mia.
Today we were back to power all day, and so we accomplished a lot of work to get us caught up. The temperatures hovered around 40 F, and it was pretty raw, with a drizzle or mist most of the day. Finishing our walk near the vegetable garden, we found more remains of the plywood that used to be part of a shed. Repairs of the shed, or actually, rebuilding, took place inside the barn. There, at least the wind could be blocked by keeping the door closed most of the way.The sled part of one shed got pretty damaged, so we replaced them with two larger boards, left over from the arbor project. This might end up as an improved version with the two inches extra height making it easier to hook onto the tractor. I hope you are impressed that a level and square were actually used to build this shed. When we were lining corners and boards up, we did pretty well. But we would also excuse a small imperfection with, "Ya know! Its just for goats! " The shed will be ready to go outside tomorrow. I think it looks like a little ark. Meanwhile, the yearlings were mowing around the barn today, and as an extra plus, they got to climb the wood chip pile. And all afternoon we kept an eye on Layla, still hanging on to whatever she's carrying. This morning the udder was much bigger, so we kept watching, and she knew it. Finally about three in the afternoon, she separated from the herd, marched over to the gate and stared back at me. I took it as notice that it was time to come inside and nest. I quietly ran up and opened the gate, before the rest of the crew caught on, and she marched slowly, and regally, to the barn.The yearling kids came to the gate to watch her go by. She spent the afternoon quietly standing around, and we made some extra preparations for her comfort. When the rest of the herd came in, she definitely did not want anyone in, or near her space. She slammed against the gate when they were near. Luckily she is letting me by her, and seems to know I am at her beck and call. And so, after a bed time check, and the baby monitor on again, we wait for those baby kid cries.

No comments: