“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Watch Your Step

Most things we see on our walks bring us cheer and peace, and take our breath away, or that might be the walk itself. Sometimes there are bits of nature that surprise you. For me that would be snakes and snapping turtles.
One walk up the hill, I caught this snake sunning itself.
It quickly slid into the hole where its tail was still hanging in, and disappeared.

Another time, three of us were trying to hold Zola against the fence shortly after she kidded, and I looked down and saw a reptilian tail.
I must say, I first thought alligator.
We all stopped to see what was hidden in the tall grass, and get out of its way, once we realized how close all our toes were to the little beast.
We were hoping to see eggs, but by the next morning only its impression in the grass was left behind.

No comments: