“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Shhhhh!

I just don't dare go out to see how things are going. Its been pretty quiet. If the goats see me or hear me, the yelling begins. The kids all followed out to the far paddock this morning without much crying. A little grain and then they were happy in the field.

Yesterday was awful and Vinegar's twins ended up outside the fence by the nannies, crying till they lost their voices. More goat laryngitis. Pretty pitiful sounding.

Today I got my ducks in a row. I threw a little hay in for the moms to quiet them and then took the kids all out. The moms were too busy munching to call after the babies. No kids turning and bolting back to the barn like yesterday.

It took three trips to get all but two kids up yesterday, and I carried one of them. Dave thinks I'm slacking at the gym. Right. Carry a wriggling 40 pounds of goat 400 feet or more, open a gate with one hand while holding back seven other goats. Try just imagining it and tell me how tired you are.

No comments: