“A day in the country is worth a month in town”Christina Rossetti

Monday, July 6, 2009

Transplanted and Transported

I have plants in my garden from my mother's garden that I have transplanted, and transported, from house to house, and state to state. Now I am passing a piece of this 10 foot cactus to my daughter for her to pot and grow into another giant. It got a couple of broken arms in the move and a couple more injuries in the house, so I decided it was time to start some new plants. A few starts were failures, but two got going. This one is probably off to a taller start then what I started with thirty years ago, but eight inches of it grew in the past few months as I was rooting it.
In the house she grew up in, the cactus, then about six to eight feet of it, stood at the front door, and Kristin had to explain to friends that, yes - it was real. During the last move, this plant along with a couple more, almost put the mover over the edge, but the estimator promised, and I was not leaving this old friend behind.
So Kiddo, now its your turn to grow a giant cactus in your home. I hope it continues to have stories for you to tell.

No comments: